Flying your first flight with Compass!
Welcome to Compass. This series of pages is designed to take you through your first flight with us and get you set up to enjoy the virtual aviation opportunities that Compass offers.
Basics Once you have filled out the Application form (see the Sign Up With Compass link from the Main Page) you will receive your Compass Pilot Number. You are then set to fly your first Compass flight. Our first flight scenarios are currently being re-written. Two flights are used for our first flight training flights, for New Zealand pilots YMA820, a B717-200 service from Wellington to Christchurch, and for Australian pilots it is YMA645, a B717-200 service from Brisbane to Hamilton Island and return. These scenarios will be online soon.
What you will need is:
- Flight Simulator (which ever version you prefer)
- Appropriate scenery - flightsim.com. avsim.com, simviation.com and oceaniasim all have good scenery covering these areas.
- The Compass Boeing B717-200. Versions of the717 for FS9, FS2002 ,FS2000 and FS98 are available from the Compass website.
- The official company flight plans for Gold Coast to Sydney (CGSY.PDF) and Sydney to Coolangatta (SYCG.PDF)
- The various DAP charts for Sydney and Gold Coast from the DAP Index page of the web site.
- The Compass B717-200 operating manual is still in production. This will give you useful information on climb and descent profiles, as well as fuel and holding policies and other useful information.
A number of optional extras can be included to make your flight more enjoyable:
- First and foremost, a decent panel. Check out www.flightsim.com This site has a fantastic range of freeware add ons for Flight Simulator and many panels are available to suit the entire Compass fleet. If you need help installing any such panel drop one of the management team a line.
- Squawkbox - this program provides online ATC over the net. Pilots wishing to use this service will need to register separately with VATPAC, obtain a pilot ID number (PID)
Once you have all this you are ready to start planning your flight, we hope to get the new training scenarios written shortly.